Wednesday, 8 June 2016

Have you ever wondered... "Can they do that?!"

Photo credit: mripp via VisualHunt.com / CC BY

One of the reasons I started this blog was because I get asked questions from family and friends quite often about what is happening at their workplace. Usually it is a statement finished with "Can they do that?!". 

The truth is that there is not a lot of plain English information available for employees, mainly because it can be really difficult to take one issue and dissect it and have that apply to everyone. So much is determined by the way you are employed and therefore what legislation and case law (precedents) there are in place. That is why I try and keep these posts brief, and generalised. 

It has been an interesting few weeks as I've been receiving messages from different people with their employment questions and it does give me motivation to continue, because unfortunately there are some businesses and Managers out there that just, quite frankly, have no idea. Sometimes they are well meaning, sometimes they are working off a mindset that is out dated, and sometimes they are just trying to get around the law. The difficult part is then for you, as an employee, to tactfully steer them in the right direction and try to get the right outcome for you and the business. Hopefully I can assist you with that too.

So I'm going to try every Thursday to post one of the questions I have received (anonymously and with any identifying information removed!) and the answer in the hope that it may just help you, or someone you know, in a similar situation.

Feel free to message me with a specific question and I'll do my best to help you find an answer, or give you my opinion if it would be worth seeing a lawyer or making a claim via Fair Work. I will, of course, ask your permission before making your Q&A into a blog post.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...